Home Rule Information
On the November 6, 2018, General Election ballot, the residents of the Village of Lemont will have the opportunity to answer a question on home rule through a binding referendum. The Mayor and Village Board chose to give its residents the opportunity to consider becoming home rule as away to obtain additional revenue streams in order to maintain current level of police and public works service, along with maintaining the Village’s roads and water system.
Currently, the Village is a non-home rule municipality under the Illinois Constitution, meaning that the Village can only authorize those powers which are expressly granted by the State of Illinois. Pursuant to the Illinois Constitution, home rule municipalities may exercise any power and function pertaining to its government and affairs. Home rule status can only be achieved through voter approval or the certification of a population above 25,000 residents.
The Mayor and Village Board pledge to utilize home rule powers only to the extent deemed necessary with a view to the long-term impact upon the community. The Village has experienced significant revenue stream declines over the last several years, including a reduction in state shared income and motor fuel tax along with other revenues. The Village has cut personnel and other costs over these years and must now address the future needs of the Village.
Utilizing home rule authority, the board would have flexibility to consider additional revenue streams, ones that shift the burden to non-residents. To take advantage of existing retail and growth in the area, the board intends to impose a 1 percent home rule sales tax on most purchases in Lemont other than qualifying food, drug and medical expenses. The additional funding would be allocated towards investment in our roads, water system and other infrastructure. Home rule would also give the Village Board flexibility to consider other user fees and revenue streams which tend to impact non-residents.
General questions regarding the Home Rule Referendum shall be directed to Village Administration at 630-257-1590 or email@example.com.
GENERAL QUESTIONS ON HOME RULE
Town Hall Meeting October 15, 2018 - Link to Meeting Video
Town Hall Meeting Lemont Community TV Schedule - Comcast Channel 6 / Uverse Channel 99
10/23 Noon, 4pm
10/25 9am, 3pm
10/26, Noon, 7pm
10/29, 9am, 5pm, 8pm
11/2, 9am, 5pm, 8pm
11/5 Noon, 7pm
More Q & A's can be found on our special Home Rule Village News newsletter - Link to Newsletter
Press Release - Village of Lemont Home Rule Referendum September 25, 2018 - Link to Press Release
Staff Report Links from Village Board Committee of the Whole Meetings and Passed Resolutions:
- June 12, 2018 Potential New Revenue
- July 13, 2018 Home Rule Referendum Discussion
- August 10, 2018 Home Rule Authority Resolution
- August 17, 2018 Home Rule Utilization Discussion
- Resolution R-42-18 Referendum Home Rule Question
- Resolution R-43-18 Home Rule Powers
Capital Improvements – The Village’s primary intention with home rule authority is to obtain additional funding to ensure adequate funding for our roads, water system and other infrastructure. If granted home rule authority, the Village Board intends to impose a home rule 1% sales tax that would be devoted to roads, water system and other infrastructure. The Village has identified a list of capital projects to be considered for funding over the next 5-year capital improvement.
- 2018 Street Condition Survey and Estimated Costs Summary
- Water Main Replacement Program & Water Facility 5-year Priority List
- Other Infrastructure Projects and Estimate of Costs
Home Rule Literature - Much information and research has been done regarding home rule. Below are additional links to information:
- Do Home Rule Communities Levy More Property Taxes - Professor James Banovetz and Thomas Kelty
- Home Rule - Its History and Effect - IML Conference Presentation
- Home Rule Cities and the Voters - Professor James Banovetz
- Home Rule Brochure - Citizen Advocacy Center
- Illinois Home Rule - A Case Study in Fiscal Responsibility - The Journal Analysis and Policy
- Illinois Municipal League Handbook on Home Rule
- IML - List of Home Rule Municipalities
- Legal Q A on Home Rule - Illinois Municipal League
- Local Government Revenue Structure - Does Home Rule Matter - The Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy
- NIU Center for Governmental Studies - Do Home Rule Governments Work Better
- NIU Center for Governmental Studies - 30 Year Assessment of Home Rule
- NIU Center for Governmental Studies - Uses of Home Rule
- Report on Home Rule to City of Galena